Can Dogs Eat Pop Tarts?

Published on
Our site is reader-supported. This page may contain links and purchases made may earn us a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
can dogs eat pop tarts

Imagine this scenario.

You’re dashing out the door, coffee in one hand, car keys in the other. Your dog shoots you a pleading look that screams, “What about my breakfast?”

Your eyes dart to a box of Pop Tarts in the pantry. A quick fix, perhaps? But hold on—can dogs eat Pop Tarts? Is it a harmless treat or a risky choice for your four-legged friend?

In this comprehensive guide, we’ll dissect the ingredients in Pop-Tarts, explain why they’re a poor choice for your dog, and offer guidance if your pup has already indulged.

Let’s dive in.

Are Pop Tarts Bad for Dogs?

Pop Tarts are a no-go for dogs. While not lethal, they’re a nutritional disaster. Laden with calories, sugar, and a slew of artificial ingredients, Pop-Tarts can seriously compromise your dog’s health.

Some even contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that’s a canine hazard. Xylitol can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) and severe liver damage.

Be vigilant, as xylitol might be listed under its food additive code, E967.

The Health Consequences of Feeding Pop-Tarts to Dogs

Here’s a snapshot of the health risks involved:

  • Obesity: These pastries are calorie-dense. Feeding them to your dog regularly can lead to weight gain, opening Pandora’s box of diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer.
  • Digestive Upset: The high sugar content can disrupt your dog’s digestive system, causing diarrhea and potential dehydration.
  • Dental Dilemmas: The sticky, sugary nature of Pop-Tarts can adhere to your dog’s teeth, leading to plaque and eventually, tooth decay.
  • Allergic Reactions: Artificial ingredients can trigger allergies, ranging from mild skin irritations to severe anaphylactic reactions.
  • Chocolate Toxicity: Some Pop-Tarts feature chocolate, a known canine toxin that can lead to severe health complications, including death.

What Are Pop-Tarts Made Of? Ingredients Breakdown

Pop-Tarts are pre-baked pastries filled with fruit or other flavors, usually topped with a sugary frosting. They might be a convenient snack for humans, but they’re a dietary disaster for dogs. Here’s why:

  • Flour and Wheat: These staple ingredients form the dough’s foundation. While they’re not toxic to dogs, they can pose challenges for some. Flour and wheat can trigger allergies or intolerances, including gluten sensitivity, in certain canines.
  • Sugars and Sweeteners: Present in the dough, filling, and frosting, these are empty calories that can lead to digestive issues, dental problems, and obesity.
  • Oils: These give the pastry its soft texture but are calorie-dense. They can lead to obesity and may cause inflammation or pancreatitis in susceptible dogs.
  • Salts and Preservatives: These are added for flavor and shelf life but can have adverse effects in large amounts. High sodium levels can lead to dehydration and high blood pressure.
  • Artificial Flavors and Colors: These offer no nutritional value and can be harmful. One such additive is TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone), commonly used to extend the shelf life of processed foods. Research indicates that TBHQ can negatively impact the immune system, contribute to the formation of tumors, impair vision, and even have neurotoxic effects in animals.

Can Dogs Eat Strawberry Pop Tarts?

Absolutely not. While strawberries themselves offer some nutritional benefits, the high sugar and artificial additives in strawberry Pop-Tarts make them a poor choice, posing risks like diabetes and obesity.

Can Dogs Eat Blueberry Pop Tarts?

It’s a hard no. Similar to strawberry Pop-Tarts, the high sugar and artificial ingredients outweigh any potential benefits of the blueberries, leading to health issues like diabetes and obesity.

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Pop Tarts?

Steer clear. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and can lead to severe health issues, including death.

Can Dogs Eat S’Mores Pop Tarts?

Avoid at all costs. The chocolate content alone makes it a high-risk food for dogs, capable of causing chocolate poisoning.

My Dog Ate a Pop Tart – What Should I Do?

my dog ate chocolate pop tart

Accidents happen. If your dog has managed to snag a Pop-Tart, your immediate action should be to remove them from the vicinity of the remaining Pop-Tarts.

story about a dog that suffered health issues from eating Pop-Tarts

If your dog has consumed a significant amount, especially if it contains xylitol or chocolate, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Even a small bite might warrant a call to your vet, as some dogs can be sensitive to certain ingredients. Your vet can offer tailored advice, which may include symptom monitoring or specific treatments.

Find out whether your dog can eat other common human foods. Explore our Can Dogs Eat page!

Photo of author


Ivana is an experienced writer, a dog enthusiast, and the author behind With a background in dog nutrition, she shares her expertise and insights on the best foods and treats. Ivana is passionate about providing the best care for our four-legged friends and is dedicated to helping dog owners make informed choices about their pets' nutrition.

SAVE 35% on your next dog food order!

For all our readers we have special deal on high-quality dog food available only on If you click on the button below, we'll take you to their EXCLUSIVE discount page.