Popular dog food brands such as Fromm Family have been on the market for a long time and people buy their products because they claim to use only natural ingredients.
But the FDA issued a warning that Fromm’s food was associated with cases of DCM (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) in dogs.
That can be a potentially fatal condition and dog owners should be aware of that when they decide which pet food to feed their canines.
But, there is a solution.
You can try different dog food that is as good as Fromm’s, it’s affordable and there haven’t been any recalls.
Our favorite great value-for-money dog food is Wellness Core Grain-Free Original Turkey & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Food. Their recipe is grain-free with natural ingredients and a high percentage of protein from real meat.
After years of research and tons of positive reviews, we made a list of our favorite dog foods and an honest dog food review.
All of these brands use high-quality ingredients, the protein levels are as in Fromm’s food or even better, and it’s easier to buy it in pet stores and online.
Besides, they offer a variety of flavors with real meat and whole foods for reasonable prices.
Stay tuned to find out about some great alternatives to the pricey and difficult-to-find in-stores and online dog food.
At a Glance: Best Fromm Dog Food Alternatives Ranked
- Wellness Core Grain Free Original Deboned Turkey & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food (Fromm Four-Star Game Bird Alternative)
- Solid Gold Fit and Fabulous Weight Control Grain-Free Chicken & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food (Fromm Weight Management Gold Alternative)
- Taste of the Wild Wetlands Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Fromm Classic Adult Alternative)
- American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food (Fromm Lamb & Lentil Recipe Alternative)
- Purina Beyond Beef Recipe Canned Dog Food (Fromm Pate Beef Recipe Alternative)
- Merrick Grain-Free Real Texas Beef + Sweet Potato Puppy Food (Fromm Puppy Gold Alternative)
- Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dry Dog Food (Fromm Four-Star Trout & Whitefish Alternative)
7 Dog Foods Similar to Fromm Reviewed
Fromm creates dog food for different life stages, from puppies to seniors. Some of these recipes are made with premium ingredients that are not cheap. We’ve researched each of them and made a list of Fromm dog food alternatives. Read our reviews below.
1. Wellness Core Grain Free Original Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Food
It is a high-protein food made in the USA with natural ingredients and real meat that meets all your dog’s needs.
This pet food is a healthy alternative to Fromm’s Four-Star Game Bird Recipe.
Its formula is packed with proteins from real deboned turkey meat, turkey meal, deboned chicken, and chicken meal that keep your dog healthy and energized.
The other ingredients include veggies like spinach, broccoli, carrots, flaxseed, dried ground potatoes, lentils, salmon oil, and fruits to support your canine’ s health and give them a shinier skin and coat.
The GMO-free recipe doesn’t contain fillers, artificial colors, and flavors and it’s grain free, so there’s no corn, soy, or gluten.
It contains antioxidants and omega fatty acids that improve joint health and overall health.
The Wellness Core Grain Free Dog Food has prebiotics and probiotics that boost your dog’s digestive system and the optimal taurine and protein levels which protect your dog’s heart.
The Wellness Core kibble is recommended for all breed sizes (include small breed) and dogs love the authentic turkey flavor.
To sum up, the Wellness Core Grain Free Original Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Food is an excellent alternative to Fromm’s Game Bird Recipe Dry Food.
- It is high in protein from the fresh turkey and chicken meat which meets your dog’s needs and it builds leaner muscles
- The kibble has prebiotics and probiotics for a healthy digestive system
- Other ingredients promote shiny skin and coat, healthy heart, and overall well-being
- Made in the USA from non-GMO ingredients, Grain-Free and with no added preservatives, colors, or flavors
- Healthy, natural ingredients that provide your dog with a balanced diet that won’t break the bank
- Easily found in pet stores and available online, you can check price on Chewy
2. Solid Gold Fit and Fabulous Dry Dog Food
If you are looking for weight control food as an alternative to Fromm’s Weight Management Gold recipe food, we got you.
Solid Gold’s Fit and Fabulous Dry Food for dogs that need to maintain or lose weight is a great choice because its formula is low in calories, but high in proteins and nutrients that will help your dog thrive, without worrying about extra weight.
The ingredients are better, but it contains fewer crude proteins and crude fats.
It comes in two flavors: Chicken and Alaskan Pollock, so you can try both if your dog is a picky eater, or for some reason, they can’t eat meat.
The other ingredients are pearled barley, brown rice, and many healthy veggies like sweet potato, pea, pumpkin, green beans, carrots, etc.
They are high in fiber which is good for your furry buddy’s gut and digestive system, plus the vitamins and proteins from the fish and chicken help your pup be healthy, have a shiny coat, and have lots of energy.
In addition, Solid Gold Fit and Fabulous have living probiotics that promote a healthy gut, a better immune system, and healthier skin and coat.
The level of probiotics is much higher than in Fromm’s Weight Management Gold Recipe food.
And, it’s grain-free and gluten-free and you can buy it very easily.
Dog owners claim that their pups slim down with this high-fiber kibble and love its taste.
To sum up, Solid Gold Fit and Fabulous Dry Dog Food is a great alternative to the pricier Fromm Weight Management Gold Recipe food.
- It’s made with high-quality ingredients like fresh caught Alaskan Pollock or real Chicken meat
- The kibble is high in proteins and low in calories and fat to promote healthy weight loss
- The ingredients are high in fiber, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants great for the immune system, digestive system, heart, skin, and coat
- Loaded with probiotics that are beneficial for the gut flora and overall health
- This food is grain-free, gluten-free, and artificial preservatives free
- It’s available for purchase online
3. Taste of the Wild Wetlands Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Well, this brand made sure your dog is offered a variety of flavors when it comes to its grain-free recipes.
You can choose between smoked salmon, roasted bison and venison, roasted lamb, poultry, etc.
The high-quality ingredients are packed with proteins and they use real meat like chicken, bison, lamb, buffalo, turkey, duck…
The company is USA based and they carefully choose all the other ingredients as well.
The grain-free recipes include legumes, fruits, and veggies like sweet potato, tomato, peas, lentils, beans, raspberries, and strawberries. Plus, it has dried chicory root which is a source of prebiotics and it boosts the digestive system.
All the ingredients combined make sure your canine eats food high in antioxidants, fiber, omega acids, probiotics, and prebiotics that support health, and the gut, and give your pup energy, and shiny skin and fur.
Dog owners are satisfied with this food because of the high percentage of protein and there’s no fillers, or preservatives formula.
To sum up, Taste of the Wild is a great alternative to the pricier and less available Fromm Classic Adult Dog Food.
- It’s high in proteins from real meats like Chicken, Turkey, Buffalo, Venison
- Legumes are a great source of fiber and carbs
- Fruits and veggies like blueberries, raspberries, tomatoes, and peas are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals which support your pup’s overall health
- It has K9 probiotics and prebiotics excellent for the gut flora, the immune system, and the digestive system of your canine friend
- Omega acids from the salmon oil and fish support brain and vision development
- Dogs have more energy, muscles, and shinier fur
- Grain-free, NO soy, corn, fillers
- Available for purchase online
4. American Journey Lamb and Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
As you may guess, this dog food ended up on our list as an alternative to Fromm’s Lamb & Lentil Recipe.
So, if you are looking for good value for money and you don’t want to worry about the ingredients in your pup’s food, you can put your mind at peace.
American Journey Lamb and Sweet Potato recipe offers a real, deboned lamb as the most important ingredient.
Well, that makes sense since your pup needs protein to stay healthy and strong.
The other ingredients include lamb broth, lamb liver, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, sunflower oil, plus vitamins and minerals.
That means lots of antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and vitamins for a healthy immune system, shiny skin, and coat and lean muscles.
It’s a grain-free formula, so no soy, wheat, nor artificial colors.
And, it’s good for dogs allergic to chicken or beef since it has only lamb.
To sum up, American Journey Lamb Recipe has good quality ingredients, very similar to Fromm’s recipe, but it’s affordable and more available than Fromm’s Lamb Recipe.
- The #1 ingredient is real deboned lamb
- It’s high in protein so it helps your pup stay strong
- It has antioxidants and omega fatty acids that boost your dog’s immune system
- The recipe is enriched with vitamins and minerals for a healthy, energetic dog
- It’s grain free
- No preservatives
- It’s good if your dog can’t eat other meat since it has only lamb
- You can purchase it online or in pet stores
5. Purina Beyond Beef, Potato & Green Bean Wet Food
This pet food offers food with high-quality ingredients and affordable prices.
Purina Beyond Beef, Potato & Green Bean Wet Food is an excellent alternative to Fromm’s Pate Beef recipe.
The beef is Texas-raised and dogs love it, plus, the combination of food is nutritious and beneficial for them.
Besides beef, the recipe contains beef broth, chicken, liver, and veggies like potatoes, green beans, and lots of vitamins and minerals.
The crude protein and crude fats come from the beef broth. In addition, it has prebiotic fiber that promotes healthy gut bacteria and it’s good for your pup’s health.
Your pup gets a high-protein food that comes from a minimum of 100 days of raised meat, plus veggies, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
This food is soy-free and corn-free, and there are no artificial colors and by-products.
Dog owners claim that their dogs prone to allergies can enjoy Purina’s food without worrying about itching and similar.
To sum up, Purina Beyond Beef is a cost-effective and good-quality substitute for Fromm’s Pate Beef Recipe.
- This natural dog food is enriched with vitamins and minerals
- It’s high in protein and it meets your pup’s daily needs
- The natural prebiotic fiber protects your canine friend’s gut and it promotes healthy digestion
- Vitamins B, E, and D3 and minerals like Potassium, Zinc, and Manganese for a healthy, happy dog
- No poultry by-products
- No corn, soy, fillers
- Easily available online and in pet stores
6. Merrick Grain-Free Beef Puppy Food
This is an alternative to Fromm Puppy Gold recipe.
First things first, this formula is made especially for medium-sized puppies – small dogs can’t eat the kibble (because of its size), and on the other hand, the nutritional value doesn’t meet large breed dogs’ needs.
The most important ingredients in this recipe are deboned beef, turkey meal, whitefish meal, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, apples, blueberries, and lots of vitamins and minerals.
As you can see this food is packed with protein from real meat, plus it contains omega fatty acids from the whitefish that give your dog shiny fur.
Also, it has glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints and whole foods like sweet potatoes that are nutritious and tasty.
To sum up, Merrick Grain-Free Beef Puppy Food is our favorite alternative to Fromm’s Puppy Gold due to its high protein percent and healthy whole foods.
- It’s high in protein from real meat
- The #1 ingredient is Deboned Beef
- It has whole foods like Sweet Potatoes and Blueberries that are beneficial for your pup
- The omega-fatty acids support your dog’s health and skin
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints and hips
- No soy, wheat, artificial colors, preservatives
- Easily available online
7. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch
The only dog food on our list which is actually pricier than Fromm’s.
If we have to choose an alternative to Fromm Four-Star Trout & Whitefish, it’s got to be Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch.
The high-quality ingredients and the high percentage of crude protein and crude fats make this food a great choice for active dogs who need energy and a balanced meal to meet their daily needs.
The ingredients include herring meal, peas, dried eggs, flaxseed, salmon meal, Pacific whiting meal, apples, blueberries, carrots, raspberries, and vitamins.
You can see that the protein sources are fish, so it’s good if your dog is sensitive to meat.
The levels of antioxidants and omega fatty acids are high, which means a healthy immune system and shiny skin and coat.
The ingredients support digestion and nutrient absorption. It also contains l-carnitine which is good for lean muscles.
To sum up, Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch is a great alternative to Fromm Four-Star Trout & Whitefish due to the high-quality ingredients, even though you have to pay a little bit more.
- High-quality protein sources like Herring Meal, Pacific Whiting Meal, Salmon Meal, Peas
- The veggies and fruit are rich in antioxidants that support health, digestion, and the immune system
- L-Carnitine to maintain lean muscles
- Added Taurine and Methionine to support heart health
- .Omega fatty acids for shinier skin and coat
- No grain
- No harmful ingredients
- Available for online/pet store purchase
How To Transition to New Dog Food Without Getting Your Pooch Seek
We know that it can be overwhelming to switch your dog to a new food.
They might not like to eat the new food, some of our furry friends are picky eaters so they simply refuse to eat what you give them and the food ends up being in the bowl for hours.
But, if their current food isn’t good enough for them, their stomach is sensitive to some ingredients, or they are itching, you need to make this call and start the transition to help them feel better and stay healthy.
So, this is our mini guide on how to transition to new dog food.
You can mix their old food with the new one in the beginning.
For the first few days, add ⅓ of their new food to ⅔ of the old food.
Then continue giving them more new food and less old food for seven days until you switch completely to the new food.
If you need a detailed plan check out the video below.
In this video Dr. Gary Richter will teach you how to reduce the risk your dog’s develop upset stomach or diarrhea when you switch them to a new food.
We hope that our list of dog foods similar to Fromm Family helps you decide what’s better for your canine companion regarding ingredients, quality, and experience.
So, if you’re looking for a healthy but more affordable option I highly suggest Wellness Core Grain Free Original Turkey & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Food.
It’s packed with proteins, vitamins, prebiotics, and probiotics and it’s less expensive than Fromm’s recipe.