If you tried Taste of the Wild or you’ve heard of it from other dog parents, you know that they use premium ingredients, and different meats and this brand is better than the local store’s brand.
But, you may have heard about the price and the few hiccups they’ve had too, so you want the same quality food, tested and budget-friendly.
If that’s the case, continue reading.
So, what dog food is similar to Taste of the Wild?
After thorough research and consulting all the experts we know, we can say that our favorite alternative to Taste of the Wild is American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food.
It offers high-quality ingredients, it’s packed with protein from real salmon, and it’s more reasonably priced.
And frankly, our dogs are thrilled every time we serve them this food!
The other dog food brands that made our list also tick most of the boxes when it comes to ingredients, price, and taste.
Let’s check out the list of dog food similar to Taste of the Wild.
At a Glance: Best Taste of the Wild Alternatives in 2024
- American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream)
- Purina ONE True Instinct Turkey & Venison Dry Dog Food (Taste of the Wild Prey Turkey Alternative)
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dry Dog Food (Taste of the Wild Wetlands)
- Natural Balance Salmon & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream)
- Victor Classic Hi-Pro Plus Formula Dry Dog Food (Taste of the Wild Prey Angus Beef)
- Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food (Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula)
- Ollie Fresh Beef Food with Sweet Potatoes (Taste of the Wild Southwest Canyon Canine Recipe with Beef in Gravy)
Dog Food Similar to Taste of the Wild
Here are our reviews of a few best dog foods similar to Taste of the Wild.
This brand takes care of your dog’s needs and it satisfies his cravings for real food.
Yes, deboned real salmon is the #1 ingredient that gives your furry friend enough protein for all kinds of activities you’ve planned.
The other ingredients include chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, flaxseed, fish oil, blueberries, carrots, and added vitamins and minerals.
What does that mean for your dog?
These ingredients are abundant in antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and vitamins that help boost your canine’s health, immune system, and skin and coat.
It’s for adult dogs and all dog breeds.
This recipe has 32% crude protein and 14% crude fat, while Taste of the Wild’s formula has 25% protein and 15% fat.
- Incredibly high in protein (builds lean muscles)
- Deboned real salmon is the #1 ingredient
- Lots of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that support your dog’s health, digestive system, and immune system
- Omega fatty acids for lush, shiny skin and coat
- DHA for brain and vision development
- Grain-free; no corn, wheat, soy
- No by-products
- Reasonable price
Adult dogs of every dog breed can enjoy the tasty, healthy recipe this brand crafted for them in the USA.
Dogs with sensitivities can also enjoy it since the formula is grain-free.
And you can put your mind at ease since this dry dog food gives you great value for money.
We chose Purina’s recipe as an alternative to Taste of the Wild PREY Turkey because, in addition to turkey meat, it contains chicken meal and venison which means a lot of protein for your dog.
The exact amount of protein is 30%, and crude fat is 17%, whereas Taste of the Wild’s recipe has 30% protein and 15% fat.
It’s for adult dogs of all breeds.
Besides meat, this grain-inclusive diet contains whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, soy flakes, oat meal, vitamins, and minerals.
The blend of natural ingredients improves your dog’s immune system, digestive system, skin, and coat.
- 30% protein from real turkey and venison
- Builds lean muscles, and it protects the heart
- Vitamins, minerals, and ingredients high in antioxidants for a strong immune system
- Omega fatty acids for a radiant coat
- No fillers
- No by-products
This is a great recipe that gives dogs a taste of their natural diet in the wild. It’s loaded with protein, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that boost your dog’s health and immune system.
Dogs who like chicken flavor, like my furry baby, will dig in right away.
The formula is created for adult dogs and all dog breeds can enjoy the tasty kibble.
And active dogs can get all the energy they need from 34% crude protein and 15% crude fat. Taste of the Wild Wetlands has 32% protein, and 18% crude fat.
In addition to deboned chicken, the recipe consists of chicken meal, fish meal, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, blueberries, and cranberries.
Some dog parents avoid feeding food that contains peas or lentils because the FDA started investigating a possible connection between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating these ingredients. That means besides protein, this food gives your dog complex carbs, lots of vitamins, and minerals that support his health and give him energy throughout the day.
- #1 ingredient is real deboned chicken
- High in protein for active dogs that need lots of energy
- Nutritious ingredients high in healthy fat and complex carbohydrates
- LifeSource Bits-a mix of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support your canine’s health and immune system
- Omega fatty acids for shiny skin and coat
- Grain inclusive recipe
- No poultry by-products
- Made in the USA
If you are searching for an alternative to the Taste of the Wild Grain Free Wetlands recipe, this is a nice choice because it’s higher in protein, contains so many healthy ingredients, and it’s budget-friendly.
We picked this food as another alternative to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream due to the Limited Ingredient formula that uses fewer carefully chosen ingredients for your pup.
It’s for adult dogs and all dog breeds can enjoy this kibble.
Real salmon, rich in protein and essential omega-3 fatty acids is the first ingredient.
The other ingredients include menhaden fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, flaxseed, menhaden fish oil, vitamins, and minerals.
The percent of crude protein is pretty high, 24%.
So, your dog gets food with plenty of vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, and nutrients necessary for the immune system and his overall health.
- Tasty food high in protein from real salmon
- Healthy carbohydrates for energy
- Loads of vitamins and minerals that support the immune system
- Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- Made in the USA, tested for food safety
This grain-free formula by Natural Balance is a great choice for sensitive dogs since it uses fewer ingredients and no peas, pea protein, lentils, corn, soy, or wheat that can cause issues.
Your pup will get enough energy from the protein and healthy carbs, and the nutrients and omega-fatty acids will make sure he stays healthy and his coat is shiny.
This formula consists of 88% meat protein, and your pup gets high-quality beef, chicken, and pork meals.
It’s for all life stages, pregnant and lactating females can also enjoy it, and it’s for small and medium breeds.
Although the prices are similar, Victor’s recipe (which is slightly cheaper) provides more protein and fat, so you get more for what you pay.
30% crude protein and 20% crude fat, to be exact, so, active dogs should benefit from this protein-dense kibble.
In comparison, Taste of the Wild Prey Angus Beef Recipe has 27% protein and 15% fat.
Other ingredients like grain sorghum, menhaden fish meal, whole grain millet, yeast culture, and added vitamins and minerals support your pup’s active lifestyle, immune system, and digestive system, and help him have a healthy coat.
- High in protein from meat and plant sources
- Premium quality beef, chicken, and pork meals
- Added vitamins, fatty acids, and minerals for a healthy canine
- Prebiotics and probiotics to support your dog’s metabolism, digestive system, and immune system
- Selenium yeast for cellular regeneration and a boost of immunity
- Gluten-free grains
Victor’s formula is an excellent alternative to Taste of the Wild’s recipe because it offers good-quality ingredients, a blend of vitamins, minerals, prebiotics, and probiotics that help your furry buddy maximize his potential.
If you have a large breed puppy, this food is a great alternative to Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula.
Diamond Pet Foods’ holistic approach to food offers a balanced meal with lots of protein, essential nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that meet your growing puppy’s needs.
The flavorful kibble is made with pasture-raised lamb and superfoods like whole grain brown rice, chia seed, kale, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, spinach, carrots, quinoa, garbanzo beans, papaya, coconut, and salmon oil.
All these ingredients make sure your pup gets a considerable amount of antioxidants, omega fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that support his immune system, digestive system, skin, and coat.
- #1 ingredient is a pasture-raised lamb that provides your pup with protein for lots of energy
- Superfoods for a healthy lifestyle
- DHA for brain and vision development
- Fiber for a healthy digestive system
- K9 Strain Probiotics to support your pup’s digestive and immune system
- Made in the USA
- No corn, wheat, or artificial flavors
All in all, Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Food offers good quality ingredients, and almost the same amount of protein, but it’s more cost-effective.
7. Ollie Fresh Beef Dog Food with Sweet Potatoes
Lastly, a wet recipe for many of our furry friends that prefer this kind of food.
Ollie’s recipe is made for all life stages and it’s suitable even for large breeds.
The main ingredients are beef, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, carrots, beef liver, beef kidney, spinach, blueberries, chia seeds, salmon oil, vitamins, and minerals.
That means your canine gets healthy protein, carbs, and fiber sources, as well as antioxidants, vitamins, and omega fatty acids that support the immune system, heart, vision, and skin.
It contains 9% crude protein and 7% crude fat, whereas Taste of the Wild Southwest Canyon Canine Recipe with Beef in Gravy has 9% crude protein and 4% fat.
- Fresh beef that gives your pup protein for lots of energy
- Ingredients rich in healthy carbs, fiber, and antioxidants for a healthy immune system
- Added vitamins and minerals that boost your canine’s health
- Minimal processing
- Omega 3 fatty acids for shiny skin and coat
- No fillers; no artificial flavors
If you are searching for a good alternative to Taste of the Wild’s wet recipe, Ollie is a fantastic choice because it offers a healthy, fresh beef formula packed with nutrients, and it has a reasonable price.
How to Transition to New Dog Food
Switching to a new food can be stressful, not only for dogs but for dog parents too.
Especially, if your furry buddy is a picky eater.
To make things easier, we suggest this mini guide for you to follow when you decide on trying new food.
Bear in mind that the transition should take place over 7-10 days.
First, mix 25% new food with 75% old food for several days.
Then, mix 50% new food with 50% old food for the next few days.
Continue mixing 75% new food with 25% new food around the 5th day of the transition.
Lastly, give your pup 100% new food.
Your canine companion should feel better, more energetic, and generally satisfied with the new food.
And you should also feel good about the change since the new food choice should give your pup all the necessary ingredients to thrive.
Check out Dr. Gary Richter’s video on how to avoid upset stomach or diarrhea when you switch your dog to new food.
Choosing the best food for our beloved dogs is important for all of us because nutrition can make a difference and it can improve our babies’ lives significantly.
After researching, reaching out to vets, experts, and other dog parents, and testing different foods, we chose American Journey Salmon and Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food as our favorite dog food similar to Taste of the Wild due to its high-quality ingredients, positive reviews, and excellent price.
The grain-free recipe is made with real deboned salmon, ingredients high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support your dog’s immune system, digestive system, skin, and coat.
You can also check our Taste Of The Wild vs Victor comparison post.