Victor is known as premium pet food and one of the most popular dog food brands due to the selection of good-quality ingredients, a high percentage of protein from meat sources, plants, and grains, and of course, the good ratings from customers.
However, some dog owners expect protein from different meats and better ingredients for the price they pay.
Plus, there’s been some controversy concerning blood meal used in Victor dog food.
So, if you are one of those who would like to find a more cost-effective dog food with as good, or even better ingredients, continue reading.
We’ve spent a lot of time researching and reviewing to come up with a list of our favorite alternatives to Victor Dog Food.
The #1 Victor alternative regarding ingredients, quality, and the cost is Taste of the Wild Ancient Stream with Ancient Grains.
Many dog parents choose this brand for their fur babies because it’s healthy, available, and has a reasonable price.
Continue reading to find out more about this dog food.
Check out the shortlist of our favorite Victor alternatives.
Best Victor Dog Food Alternatives
- Taste of the Wild Ancient Stream with Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food (Victor Select Ocean Fish Formula Alternative)
- Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula All Life Stages Dry Dog Food (Victor Classic Professional Formula Alternative)
- Orijen Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Victor Purpose Nutra Pro Formula Alternative)
- SPORTMIX CanineX Performance Beef Formula Dry Dog Food (Victor Realtree Max5 Pro Formula Alternative)
- Wellness Complete Health Senior Deboned Chicken & Barley Dry Dog Food (Victor Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Formula Alternative)
- American Journey Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Victor Purpose Hero Grain-Free Formula Alternative)
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wolf Creek Stew Hearty Beef Canned Dog Food (Victor Beef & Vegetables Stew Formula Alternative)
- Nom Nom Turkey Fare Formula (Victor Turkey & Sweet Potato Stew Cuts in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Dog Food)
8 Dog Foods Similar to Victor Reviewed
Victor is a well-known pet food manufacturer based in Texas, USA. They have several lines of super premium dog food for all life stages. Their recipes include a mix of ingredients that come from farms and ranches near the plant in East Texas.
All recipes contain a remarkable amount of protein and an excellent selection of ancient and whole grains.
Still, there are many quality dog foods similar to Victor that contain better protein sources and high-quality whole grains which are beneficial for your dogs’ digestibility and overall health condition.
We’ve listed some of these foods below. Let’s begin a walk-through of several dog foods comparable to Victor’s.
We listed this dog food #1 on our list for several reasons.
Taste of the Wild’s recipe is a special mixture of what dogs want and need.
This brand takes care of dogs’ wild side and gives them something nutritious and healthy.
The recipe is for all life stages and all dog breeds, so it’s suitable for puppies and senior dogs as well. So, if you have a puppy, large breed or small breed – don’t worry, you can’t make mistake with Taste of the Wild.
Ingredients like Salmon, Grain Sorghum, Quinoa, Millet, Blueberries, Tomatoes, and Raspberries give your pup protein, antioxidants, vitamins, and omega fatty acids necessary to thrive.
Taste of the Wild Ancient Stream with Ancient Grains has 30 % crude protein, and 15 % crude fat, whereas Victor’s formula has 24 % crude protein and 12 % crude fat.
My pups and the dogs at the shelter absolutely love this formula and they can’t wait to devour it!
- The #1 ingredient is real salmon
- Rich in protein from ancient grains like grain sorghum, millet, chia seed, and quinoa
- Specifically developed K9 probiotics for a healthy immune and digestive system
- High levels of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for shiny skin and coat
- Lots of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that boost the immune system
Therefore, our top alternative to Victor Select Ocean Fish Formula is more affordable, yet it has more protein and fat.
Taste of the Wild’s recipe is made with sustainably sourced salmon that provides protein and omega fatty acids for a happy, strong dog with shiny fur.
The other ingredients like ancient grains and fruits are loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that boost the immune system.
And last but not least, the formula is enriched with K-9 probiotics and omega-fatty acids for a healthy digestive and immune system.
The Chicken and Rice Formula is for growing puppies, adult dogs, and senior dogs as well and it’s suitable for all dog breeds.
It’s an excellent alternative to Victor Classic Professional Formula (26% crude protein, 18% crude fat) with 26% crude protein and 16% crude fat.
The ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Grain Sorghum, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Quinoa, Spinach, vitamins, and minerals.
It gives your pup lots of energy to stay active and it helps build muscle.
- 1 ingredient is fresh cage-free chicken
- Lots of protein and added superfoods that give your dog energy and build muscles
- Antioxidants and omega-fatty acids that support the immune system and give a shiny coat
- K-9 Strain Probiotics for a healthy digestive system
- DHA for brain and vision development
So, Diamond Naturals All Life Stages offers a high-protein, healthy, nutritious dog food that supports your dog’s immune system, digestive system, muscle, brain, and vision development.
This recipe is a great alternative to Victor Purpose Nutra Pro high-protein formula.
It’s for adult dogs only, but all dog breeds can enjoy Orijen’s formula which includes 85% animal ingredients.
That means that the most important ingredients are fresh or raw Chicken, Turkey, Flounder, whole Mackerel, and Chicken Liver.
Lots of protein from a whole prey diet that includes poultry, organs, and fish.
The brand claims that dogs used to hunt in the wild and ate the whole prey, so their modern diet should also include all nutritious parts of the prey.
And, it has the same amount of crude protein and crude fat as Victor’s recipe (38%, 18% respectively), but it’s more reasonably priced.
- High in protein, vitamins, and minerals from animal sources
- The first 5 ingredients are always raw or fresh poultry or fish
- At least 15 fresh or raw ingredients in every recipe
- Whole prey nutrient-dense diet for high energy throughout the day
If you want food that’s as high in protein and fat as Victor’s, and it’s the closest thing to a raw diet, Orijen is your choice.
Your dog will get the necessary nutrients and energy, and you won’t overpay.
It’s developed for active adult canines that need a lot of energy and strength for their daily activities.
It’s a terrific alternative to Victor Realtree Max-5 Pro formula (30 % protein, 20 % fat) due to the high percentage of protein, 26 %, and fat, 24 %.
The main ingredients are Beef Meal, Peas, Egg, Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, and Dried Yeast.
SPORTMIX’S formula is fortified with vitamins and minerals to help your dog stay healthy and strong.
- Loaded with protein from high-quality beef and egg
- Specially added Glucosamine and Chondroitin for healthy joints
- L-Carnitine to support muscle development
- Added omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for shiny fur, healthy vision, and skin
- No corn, wheat, soy, or by-products
This brand offers a high-protein recipe that will boost your dog’s performance and strength while keeping him healthy.
It’s available for online purchase and it’s budget-friendly.
This is our favorite alternative to Victor Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Formula.
It is for senior dogs and all dog breeds can enjoy this formula with real meat.
Yes, the first ingredient is Deboned Chicken.
The recipe consists of Chicken meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Flaxseed, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals.
The combination of ingredients gives your dog protein, natural fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids that support the digestive system, and promote health and shiny skin and fur.
- Stacked with protein from real chicken meat
- Loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids for a healthy digestive and immune system, and a shiny coat
- Added Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate to support hip and joint health
- Natural dog food made in the USA
- No filler, no by-products
If you are looking for high-quality dog food that meets the needs of your senior dog and it isn’t so pricey, Wellness Complete Health Senior has you covered.
We’ve found this brand suitable for sensitive stomachs and dogs with allergies.
Its grain-free formula means no wheat, soy, corn, etc., so your pup will get the necessary nutrients without having any troubles.
It’s for all dog breeds and all life stages.
It’s really high in protein- 32%, only 1% less than Victor Purpose Hero formula.
And the main ingredients like deboned beef, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, fish oil, blueberries, and carrots are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that your canine buddy needs to thrive.
- 1 ingredient is real beef
- Lots of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for a healthy, playful pup
- Omega fatty acids for shiny skin and coat
- High in protein for building lean muscles
- DHA for brain and vision development
- No wheat, soy, corn, or by-products
This is a great alternative to Victor’s pricier formula because it contains almost the same amount of protein and fat, lots of healthy ingredients, real beef meat, vitamins, minerals, and no grains that might cause issues.
If your fur baby is a fan of wet food, we recommend this brand as an alternative to Victor Beef & Vegetables Stew recipe.
It’s for adult dogs prone to food allergies caused by grains, hence a grain-free formula.
The recipe is high in protein from real meat like Beef and Chicken Liver.
Other ingredients like Chicken, Beef Broth, Chicken Meal, Dried Egg Product, Peas, Potatoes, Pea fiber, and added vitamins and supplements provide your canine companion with complex carbs and lots of nutrients.
Compared to Victor’s recipe, it contains slightly more crude protein, 8.5 %, and less crude fat, 3 %.
- High in protein from real beef and chicken
- Healthy ingredients that give your pup energy, a healthy immune system, and a shiny coat
- No corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or by-products
You can satisfy your dog’s cravings for real meat with these tasty chunks of beef and chicken stew.
Your dog can have it as a meal, mixed with their kibble, or as a treat.
Plus, you get good-quality ingredients for a fair price.
Another amazing wet recipe that can be an alternative to Victor’s Turkey & Sweet Potato Stew Cuts in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Dog Food.
The Turkey Fare formula by Nom Nom features ground turkey, brown rice, eggs, carrots, spinach, vinegar, salt, water sufficient for processing, fish oil, and vitamins.
In comparison, Nom Nom’s recipe has 10% while Victor’s recipe has 8% crude protein.
The formulas have the same amounts of fat, but what makes Nom Nom’s unique is the fact that it offers freshly prepared, human-grade meals for dogs.
It uses high-quality, whole-food ingredients that are sourced from reputable suppliers.
The ingredients are often fresher and of higher quality compared to traditional commercial dog foods.
And we picked it as an alternative to Victor’s dog food taking into consideration the balanced, nutritious food it offers and the option to customize your dog’s meals according to his dietary needs.
So, why Nom Nom Turkey Fare?
- Fresh ingredients
- Balanced nutrition
- No grains, no fillers, no by-products
- Customized meal plans based on your dog’s needs
- Plenty of vitamins
After putting it to the test, we can say that your pup will wolf down these delicious, carefully prepared meals immediately!
How to Transition to New Dog Food
If you decided on trying a new food for your furry buddy, you probably wonder how to do it in the best way possible.
We’ve already been there, so don’t worry, it’s normal to stress about it a little bit.
However, with the right food, and carefully chosen ingredients for your canine companion to thrive, you should feel confident about your decision.
Now, check out our mini guide on how to transition to a new food:
Basically, you switch your dog to new food in 7 days.
Mix 25% of the new food with your dog’s old food for the first few days.
Then add 50% of the new food and 50 % of the old food for the next 2 days.
After that, mix 75% of the new food with 25% of the old food.
And at the end, you can give 100 % of the new food to your dog.
We recommend this useful video by Dr. Gary Richter explaining how to reduce the risk of your dog developing an upset stomach or diarrhea when you switch to a new food.
Premium dog brands offer high-quality ingredients that help your dog stay healthy, strong, and active.
And we all want the best for our furry friends, but sometimes we ask ourselves if we are paying a bit much and if another food on the market fulfills all desired criteria, but comes with an acceptable price.
Well, after testing so many dog foods and talking to other pet parents, vets, and experts, we can say that Taste of the Wild Ancient Stream with Ancient Grains is our #1 alternative to Victor’s formula.
This Victor dog food alternative has real salmon, and lots of healthy ingredients high in antioxidants, fiber, omega fatty acids, and K-9 probiotics that provide your dog with protein, boost his immune system, and digestive system, and keep his coat healthy and shiny.